You woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun,
Your mama always said you’d be
The Chosen One…
(Song Title: “Woke Up This Morning” *Theme song to “The Sopranos”) originally sung by Alabama 3)
As my hubby will attest, I hate shows that hinge their storylines on graphic violence. Somehow, I made an exception when it came to “The Sopranos” when it first aired on HBO and throughout the life of the show. I was drawn to the complexity of the characters. Tony Soprano was this hardened, mafioso killer that cried when he saw a duck swimming in his backyard pool and went to therapy. I always wondered if he wanted to be more of the mysogonistic, cold hearted killer or the guy on antidepressants who love his family to a fault.
That’s how most of us remember James Gandolfini, although his acting career extends way beyond 6 seasons of “The Sopranos.” I just saw news of his passing today, June 19, 2013 of a heart attack at the age of 51. Maybe this is TMI, but I was thinking heavily about life and death today so the timing of his passing and his age punctuated a recurring dialog in my mind.
Rest in Peace, James Gandolfini. Thank you for your contribution to entertainment and life, in general.
What will you miss most about James Gandolfini?
- Hollywood Life– ‘Sopranos’ cast grieves over James Gandolfini’s shocking death
- NY Daily News– James Gandolfini dead at 51: ‘Sopranos’ star suffers massive heart attack in Italy
- Chicago Tribune– James Gandolfini, ‘Sopranos’ star, dead at 51
- USA Today– ‘Sopranos’ star James Gandolfini dies
- Naughty But Nice Rob– After the James Gandolfini new broke, the restaurant in the final scene of ‘The Sopranos’ is packed